Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Quick question

Here's a contradiction that's been plaguing me since lunch today. God wants my to have faith, and He will begin revealing Himself to me in time. I want God to answer my questions first, and then I will begin to have faith. My fear is that in having faith, but not all the answers, I won't be able to explain myself to non-Christians, leaving me open to doubt and sin (not that I'm any better where I am in spiritual growth right now.) I'll be one of those "brainless religious freaks", unable to answer their questions and be a witness- or even worse, driving them away from God by reinforcing their view of futile religion.

"What will people think if they label me a Jesus Freak? What will people do when they find out it's true?"

"...There ain't no disguising the truth..." Dc Talk makes it sound so easy, like they have such a solid grasp on the truth. I have hell of it every time I try to study the Bible- old English, words that I only have the faintest grasp as to definition, always using metaphors that leave me confused, etc. Combine with worldly worries, and I wind up spinning my wheels.

Lord, help me to not fear the consequences of "blind" faith. Remind me of Who's in control. And please, PLEASE, help me stay focused on looking for the truths in the Bible, while allowing You to lead and show me. Lord, help my unbelief.

1 comment:

sarah said...

Randy,
i'm sorry i haven't commented in a while, things have been hectic crazy here. a verse comes to mind, well, two actually, the first is in Matthew when Jesus tells His disciples: fear not what you will say when they deliver you up because it will be given to you in that hour the words to say...and then Paul's verses on not worrying about being an elegant speaker.

or even moses, who stutters. God may not answer your questions, and it's hard, but part of having Faith is believing that He can use you despite weaknesses. on the other hand, it is REALLY good that you desire a strong basis for belief and not just an emotional "i think it's true so there" attitude. i pray you find the balance.

great picture by the way!
lots of love to you my friend.