Tuesday, September 20, 2005

My brain hurts

I'll try to say these things without confusing anyone too much. Where does faith in God meet spiritual fact?
Here's my dilemma. I, like 98% of men (and the other 2% are liers) struggle with lust.
(Side note: this is... disturbing to write about this on the blog, knowing that the only person that visits and leaves comments on my site is a lady. My blog, for me, has become a place where I can straighten out my tangled, scatter-brained thoughts into something simple, understandable, and focused. It helps me to think more clearly when I write things down, so please don't take this as a personal message, miss. It's unfortunate that we Christian men don't speak about this all-pervading problem more frankly with each other- it's the pink elephant in the corner. Everyone has it, no one talks about it, and I'm tired of protecting my pride. Anyhow, back to the question.)
Over the past few weeks, I've begun to meet with a Christian brother daily during lunch, and I've been candid about my struggles with sin. It has helped out immensely the past 2 weeks- but in the past few days, temptation has made a comeback in a HUGE way. I've kept it at bay for now, but my struggle and my doubts have come to head, and I need an answer. Thus far, my resistance to temptation has been mostly due to being ashamed to have to admit backsliding to my Godly friend. That's fine, but I know the true defense should be my faith in God (i.e. the Shield of Faith.) I know from personal experience that personal resistance isn't enough- sin is too powerful, and sooner or later I fail. All God requires from me is faith- simply to look at Him, trust Him, and keep walking through my life and my struggles with this trust constantly in mind.
Yet, I am very often afraid to take jumps of faith, because I cannot see how God will help in my situation. And too often, the help has come in timely distractions (such as this blog,) and not in spiritual truths that will help me to more adequately resist next time. Put it this way:

-God wants me to simply have faith, and he will reveal truth to me in His timing.
-I want to know spiritual truth first, and I will hang my faith upon those facts.

I know which one is correct, yet I find it extremely tough to let go and live life on faith.

Lord, help my unbelief.

1 comment:

sarah said...

i echo your prayer: Lord help my unbelief.