Sunday, January 01, 2006

Hah! So much for dropping the blog.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

I suppose that "substance" and "evidence" is what I was hoping for in that last post. We have Biblical evidence, archeological evidence, logical arguments, scientific mysteries, and all these are more than enough to hang our faith on. I was, and still am, hoping for a more personal evidence from God. To explain it a bit differently, I've been hung up on the term personal relationship with God. In my life, that relationship has seemed pretty impersonal: I pray, but there's no equally vocal response back. God's working- of that I'm sure, but it bugs me to no end that I can't see that evidence. Incarnate evidence- that's the word I'm looking for.

I know of several arguments that try to explain why God doesn't use personal appearances or dramatic miracles:
~We're in a dispensational era where God doesn't (or rarely) works that way.
~We have enough evidence for God already.
~God wants us to find Him through our struggles and mature in that way.
~You'd probably just wind up doubting the appearance or miracle anyway- it's not a cure-all to doubt.

Even so, I still think that it would help a ton if God would ever reveal Himself personally & directly, instead of "hiding in the background" of the world. Just call me doubting Thomas...

In other news, The holidays have been good this year, if a little more dull than normal. I have tomorrow off- sweet. Possible pictures tomorrow. Oh, and if anyone has begun to plan details around the wedding in Feburary (arrival/departure times and places, lodging, pre and/or post wedding plans), let me know as I'm starting to plan flight times and prices!

No comments: