Monday, December 26, 2005

Someone help me out here?

Just a little conversation starter. It's probably way too vague for passers-by to really know where I'm coming from, but it's a start.

Been frustrated lately. The Bible is full of obvious miracles, God speaking to people... a direct, personal, undeniable(to those that experience it,) physical presence. Fast-forward to today: I'm stuck in the same-old day to day grind, repeatedly falling into the same old struggles. There are no amazing miracles or mystical godly presence in my life, and how can I distinguish coincidence from "God's working"? People tell me that God works differently now, that he works behind the scenes, and that the Bible, logic, and a little faith is all that we need, but I can't see the parallel between Biblical times and this inactive daily grind. Has God left us to mostly fend for ourselves for a few thousand years between Jesus and the Rapture? Bah- a single "Paul's Conversion" moment could answer so many of my doubts. What is God up to?

Anyway, despite my above grumpiness, Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know Randy, it's a question that I often pose upon myself. But your question made me consider Moses's life....he was 40 years old when he left Egypt, and 80 years old when he returned, 120 when he died..so we don't have any evidence of obvious miracles or revelations from God until he was 80, and his life was 2/3 over already! Using our average life spans, if God worked the same way, we would be 50....maybe for some of us God has to take us through a range of experiences before we see that kind of thing? Or maybe we won't, but it seems to me like it's the case that true faith is developed independently of observable realities. If I say I have faith in you as a person, it doesn't mean I think you're going to do some sort of magic trick for me (although that would be cool:)), it implies I trust you, enough to know that you have my best interest at heart, and that you know what you're doing "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." I mean don't get me wrong,I'd love to see some miracles, but it's no skin off my back if I don't..:)

sarah said...

Oswald Chambers said that drudgery is the touchstone of character...that's a hard one for me to swallow but I think it's true.
:-)