Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The nature of salvation

Romans 6 is really starting to unnerve me. "Died to sin," "Baptized into Christ," "no longer slaves to sin,"... I do not understand these metaphors. All of these things, at first glance, make it sound like a Christian ought to be free of sin - a notion that any honest Christian quickly dismisses. Of course we all still struggle with our sinful shortcomings, even well after salvation!

Romans 7:15-25 details my own struggle to a tee. I know what is right, yet I struggle to accomplish it. What did Paul mean when he said that we are "dead to sin" in Rom.6? Did he mean dead to the consequences of sin only? Or did salvation somehow deaden sin's influence over us as well?

2 comments:

crackerhead said...

I'm going to try and help you on this, but I would suggest getting some help from Dale tonight (Saturday). This is from Spurgeon's Sermon Notes and from what I gathered. Sin still can rebel and cause you to sin. However, sin does not REGIN your mortal body, which (I believe) means you still sin, but sin can't control your life because of the Holy Spirit's power and influence. As far as the rest, go to Dale or a pastor for that matter or wait for Sarah to post again. Thanks again for filling in for me tonight.

In Him who Strengthens,
Crackerhead

sarah said...

That's a tough question Randy. I don't know that I know the answer but I do know that I feel the struggle.
My first initial response is that it is not a question of whether a Christian "ought" to be free of sin. Christ makes us what we "ought", including rift with weakness so that His strength can be made perfect in us. (NOT that He makes us sin, but that He could certainly make us perfect and does not). Beyond a question of "oughts", I think it means that it is possible for a Christian not to sin. I fully believe that. I sin but I don't have to - it's not as if I can't help it - Christ is in me. But I groan for my full redemption with creation as described in Corinthians 15.

I'll think on this more but remember: Christ no longer condemns us in our sin. (rom 5:8?)